MOTHER’S DAY – Sunday 13th May
Spoil your Mum with Breakfast in Bed!
CHOCOLATE PANCAKES WITH SPICED MAPLE SYRUP – by Jodie Van Der Velden
- 145g (1 cup) SR flour (sifted)
- pinch salt
- 20g (1 tbls) caster sugar
- 30g (2 tblsp) cocoa powder
- 250g (1 cup) buttermilk
- 1 free range egg
- 40g melted butter
- 25g finely grated Callebaut Dark Bittersweet 54.5% chocolate
(Optional – but I like to add another 100g of Callebaut chocolate button!)
- 250ml maple syrup
- ½ tsp ginger (powdered)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- tiny grating of nutmeg
- Bring maple syrup to gentle simmer, remove from heat and add ginger, cinnamon, vanilla bean seeds scraped plus pod and a tiny grating of nutmeg.
- Cover and refrigerate over night for more intense flavour, or leave at room temperature and let infuse for 1 hr.
- Pass syrup through sieve and discard infusion ingredients.
- Combine flour, salt, caster sugar and cocoa powder in a bowl.
- Combine Buttermilk, egg and melted butter together, whisk until combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into the centre of the dry ingredients and whisk gently to combine, being careful not to overbeat or you’ll toughen the batter. When combined, stir in grated chocolate, and if you like, the extra chocolate buttons!)
- Pour desired amount (I use about 1/3 of a cup) into no stick frying pan and cook until bubbles appear, then flip and briefly cook the other side.
- Serve drowned in spiced syrup!
**Chocolatier Jodie Van Der Velden creates her chocolate masterpieces using Callebaut fine Belgian chocolate/owner of Josophan’s Fine Chocolate
**Recipe & Image Courtesy of Jodie Van Der Velden/Evil Twin PR
The Australia Times News
Editor GOURMET – Food/Wine/Events
Follow us on Instagram: instagram.com/tatgourmetmag