Situated in Victorian Murray River country and protected by the Great Dividing Range, Rutherglen is a picturesque, easy three-hour drive from Melbourne, four-hour drive from Canberra or six-hour drive from Sydney; but is also easily accessible by air from Albury airport. The region offers visitors an effortlessly authentic wine experience and a true sense of escape. Touring the region is a breeze with all 19 wineries in close proximity to each other.
Rutherglen is a region like no other; known for its world-renowned Muscats and iconic reds (from unique Sparkling Shiraz to big, bold table Durifs), it is these varietals we turn our attention to as the winter months fast-approach. Sip on a Durif with a piece of red meat or indulge in a glass of Muscat with some dark chocolate; the pairing combinations are endless!
The Winemakers of Rutherglen as continuing to experiment with Rutherglen Muscat and introduce it in new and exciting ways, with a series of Rutherglen Muscat cocktails developed to inspire new drinkers to enjoy the varietal that has been at the centre of Rutherglen for more than 150 years. Rutherglen Muscat cocktails include:
- Rutherglen Muscat Espresso Martini
- Rutherglen Muscat Sangria
- Rutherglen Muscat Cooler
With harvest wrapping up this month in the region, the Winemakers of Rutherglen look ahead to vintage 2018, which is set to be “top shelf” with first bottles expected to be available within months for wine-lovers.
Other new openings and exciting highlights in the region include:
- New Aboriginal Exhibitions Gallery at Rutherglen Estates;
- New restaurant: Ripe at Buller Wines;
- 2017 Winner of ‘Best Small Bar’ in Vic/Tas: Thousand Pound Wine Bar & Store; and
- A range of accommodation options, including glamping at Cofield Wines or luxury accom at Mount Ophir.
Plus, there are the upcoming in-region and Melbourne events:
- Winery Walkabout – 9th and 10th June: a vibrant way to get to know Rutherglen and its distinct offerings with wine tastings, live music, entertainment, tours, markets, food trucks, masterclasses, buffet breakfasts, dinners, and much more over the Queen’s Birthday long weekend.
- Rutherglen in the City – Winter 2018: Returning to Melbourne for a second year following its launch in winter 2017, Rutherglen in the City brings the unique essence of the Rutherglen wine region to a pop-up wine bar. Stay tuned for more details on the 2018 event.
**Information & Images Courtesy of Winemakers of Rutherglen/Little Big Marketing & PR – Jarryd Pentony
The Australia Times News
Editor GOURMET – Food/Wine/Events
Follow us on Instagram: instagram.com/tatgourmetmag