WORLD ENVIRONMENT DAY TODAY – 5 JUNE
With the average Aussie buying 27kg of new clothing every year and throwing away 23kg of that – we buy more clothing than twice the global average, and most of it is destined for landfill!
SCRgroup, one of the country’s largest and most innovative clothing and homewares re-use and recycling companies, provides easy solutions to combat waste and has advice on the sustainability of different fabrics, and how hemlines and cuts can all contribute to an abundance of different re-use ideas!
Top tips for a more sustainable wardrobe include:
- Look at what you already have and consider what can be altered slightly (or dramatically!)
- Embrace clothes swapping with friends
- Be more conscious and keep to a small manageable amount of clothing (it helps when deciding on an outfit too!)
- Be careful not to over-wash and tumble dry items – this can weaken the fabric and affect the shape of the clothing so make sure you always air dry clothing where possible
- Dye garments to give them a new lease of life
- When buying new clothes:
- Choose good quality and timeless clothing to increase longevity
- Look at the versatility – sleeves and hemlines on dresses, trousers, tops and shorts can be shortened and the shape can be changed
- Seek out vintage stores and op shops – you can find some gems!
Committed to bettering the management of Australia’s unforgivable level of waste, SCRgroup is a family owned and operated business established in 2008.
Last year, the not-for-profit diverted almost 12 million kilograms of unwanted items from landfill, and 27.4 million unwanted items made it into the hands of people who needed them the most, all around the world.
95% of clothing that gets thrown away could have been re-worn, re-purposed or recycled, and SCRgroup has many more great tips to make the most of the clothes we buy that I’m more than happy to share with you.
**Information and Images Supplied SCRgroup/Evil Twin PR
The Australia Times News
Editor GOURMET – Food/Wine/Events
Follow us on Instagram: instagram.com/tatgourmetmag